Click on the picture, below the waving flags on the left and right, to see relevant photo's of the individual countries and trips throughout the years!



Thursday, March 20, 2014

Dirt road to San Agustin over 3000 meters

Day 18 (219 Km)




    Decided to go to San Agustin, it was a little out of the way, but there was a famous archaeological park with some statutes and the road towards supposed to be a scenic one and the road for a change was all hard packed dirt as far as people were telling us and should take 6 to 8 hours. So 9 am we left and 2 hours later we passed Popayan and made a right turn to do the final 120 km . The road was actually doable and  wewere doing average 35 km per hour through a bush road through the mountains and again hit 3200 meter altitude and on descend a little later we had some rain and fog for an hour or so. The road was full of potholes and had a washboard effect and a few times I bogging down hard and one time I hit so hard I heard the rocks hit underneath the engine and a second after that the engine stalled on me, with Scotty ahead of me, not aware of anything!




    I came to a standstill in the middle of nowhere and after I got off, I looked to see if I saw any visible  damage. After not seeing any, I tried to start it again, but engine kept cutting out, but once I am in neutral, the engine would almost start. So I knew it was something giving it a signal to cut off and there is a safety device on a Kawasaki, that you can not start the engine in gear and/or foot stand out. So after looking better, I saw the wire of that device was pinched where my center stand pivot and after tearing all this electric wire crap loose and joining 2 wires to make the circuit closed, the problem was solved and  we continued again to reach San Agustin around 4 pm. Rode through the small village, loaded with restaurants and small hotels and saw some other tourists as well. This place is actually a must to visit, but will see tomorrow, if they right. So far the ride today was one of the better ones this trip!




No comments:

Post a Comment